- Position Title: HRO for UTIA and HR Director for UT Extension
- Name of Institution: The University of Tennessee
- Campus Location: Knoxville, TN
- Email: email@example.com
- Job Close Date: November 20, 2017
The position supports a workforce of about 1000 UT Extension employees and 5,000 volunteers located at more than 100 offices across the state. The position includes statewide responsibilities within UT Extension and serves as a member of a leadership team with Institute-wide responsibilities as the UTIA Human Resource Officer (HRO). In total, there are about 2,500 employees in UTIA. This position requires frequent overnight travel.
HR Director for UT Extension:
- Serves as Director for the Extension Evaluation and Staff Development Department, including serving as a member of the UT Extension Administrative Team, supporting state and county advisory committees, and maintaining departmental and diversity budgets.
- Provides oversight of federal reporting; Extension Reporting and Accountability Systems; and Statewide Personnel Training and Development.
- Responsible for employment-related operations including recruitment, screening of applicants, employment process, compensation, and staff development.
- Provides oversight of employment civil rights relative to federal guidelines, including developing reporting procedures to ensure compliance and conducting educational programs and diversity training.
- Serves as Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Officer.
- Organizes and conducts Extension New Employee Orientation twice annually.
- Provides oversight of Employee Performance Appraisal Systems.
- Responsible for UT Extension’s compliance with minors on campus policies.
- Reports to the UT Extension Dean and completes other duties as assigned.
HRO for the Institute of Agriculture:
- Communicates, coordinates, and shares responsibilities with HR professionals in all four units (College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources, College of Veterinary Medicine, AgResearch, and UT Extension).
- Serves as primary point of contact and works collaboratively with UT System Human Resources team.
- Serves as designated official for programs for minors for UTIA.
- Serves as a team member to plan and conduct UTIA New Employee Orientation twice annually.
- Responsible for compliance and interpretation of HR policies.
- Serves as Diversity Officer for UTIA.
- Leads initiatives for the Institute.
- Reports to the UTIA Chancellor and completes other duties as assigned.
- Education: Master’s degree required; Doctoral or Terminal degree preferred.
- Experience: Requires seven years of demonstrated progressive experience in Human Resources management including leadership responsibilities. Must have HR experience, particularly in employee relations, training and workforce planning, compensation, professional development, and employment federal and state law and best practices. Must have demonstrated experience consulting and coaching employees, supervisors, and leaders. Senior-level human resources certification preferred (SPHR or SHRM-SCP). Experience with Cooperative Extension preferred.
Desired qualifications include:
- Excellent written, oral, and technology-based communication skills.
- Ability to evaluate salary equity, organizational benchmarks, and regional or national comparative statistics.
- Excellent partnership skills and ability to lead a team.
- Commitment to affirmative action and equal employment opportunity.
- Management of departmental budgets and accounts.
- Proven leadership skills and abilities.
Requirements for applying:
- Apply online for Extension Positions.
- Attach a complete application package consisting of a 1) letter of interest and 2) a resume or curriculum vitae.